Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ok, Ok. I know. I skipped from Thing 1 to Thing 3. I guess I better do Thing 2.

What is Web 2.0 and why should I care?
I care because I've been using it. Web 2.0 is about Joe Average using the web to be interactive. It's a wonderful idea that has been forcast in many SF stories, maybe the best is the recent "Halting State" and before that the famous "Snow Crash." Of course those two were more virtual reality, but the characters hopped into and out of an interactive world-wide net or set of networks.

I've been using Web 2.0 in library work for over 10 years. I made an interlibrary loan form for use in the Minnesota State University System over it classic PALS back in 1983 or 84. I made an online interactive workbook for my students in 1994. I also made a web form for faculty to submit book requests to me back in 1997.

Why do I care? It makes life easier and more fun (depending upon whether I'm creating or using).

No comments:

Post a Comment